8/15/2013

Julia Child

      Today is Julia Child's 101st birthday. Perfect timing, because I've just finished reading her memoir, My Life in France. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

     The thing that strikes me about Julia is her warmth, bigheartedness, and good humor. Her memoir was so sunny, and she was such a joyous and passionate person. At the same time, she was frank and straightforward. In her memoir, she never glazed over her trials or disappointments. She wrote about them in the same way that she wrote about her successes: simply and honestly.

     My Life in France was also a story about her husband, which I liked. She devoted almost as many words to describing his work life and his passions as her own. He loved photography, so his photographs were scattered throughout her memoir. I enjoyed that. Paul and Julia Child were obviously in love, and they never appeared to fall out of it.

     She spent a fair amount of time describing the political events of the time periods she lived in, and depicting the general climate and attitudes. The Childs moved to Germany in the 50s, and she wrote about the way it felt to enter the country that had caused worldwide devastation just a decade earlier. Her husband worked for the military, so she wrote about McCarthy's red scare and the way her husbands, friends and colleagues were indiscriminately accused and investigated for Communist sympathies.

     I've always liked Julia Child, simply because she said things like "Every woman should have a blowtorch," and "A party without cake is just a meeting." Her memoir was everything I hoped it would be. After reading it, it is easy to see why she is such an iconic personality. Happy Birthday, Julia Child!

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." -Julia Child

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love Julia Child, great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her quotes! (Particularly the ones about cake. And being passionate. That's good too, but cake is tastier.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Julia and Paul's relationship they had, it was so sweet! I'm a few days late, but happy birthday Julia Child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Australia we never really knew much about Julia Child, but the movie Julie and Julia put me onto her story. I must read this book too - thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete