3/28/2013

Begin the Beguine

     I've got a lovely little record player. I bought it at a fantastic antique store over spring break. It's a tiny blue suitcase made from some sort of pasteboard material. I smiled so hard the first time I played my record of big band hits from the thirties. It's one of those things that just does make you smile . . . Bing Crosby, Peter Paul and Mary, the little record player itself, the square record covers, and the crackly-whispery sound it makes when you set the needle down . . . It takes music to a new level of happy.
400th post!

7 comments:

  1. The only problem with Beguine is the name. At band, we'll be told to go from the Beguine... of course, someone will inevitably go from the beginning...

    That record player is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, I'm so jealous, that record play is so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Record players are heavenly. I only have three records, but I love listening to them. It's so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Record players are wonderful in their simplicity and nostalgia :) This post makes me want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how succulent and utterly captivating a feeling is that of listening to a gently crackling record. We have a big old player in the house, and now and then my dad picks a huge black disc and turns it up loud enough to send neighbours into fury, louder than our little CD player could ever go, and the house sighs into happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted a record player! If I ever got one, my first song to hear on it would have to be from the Beatles. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your record player! I love mind too, though it's not nearly so cute.

    (But please tell me you know that Peter, Paul, and Mary were not a swing band from the '30s. I'm assuming you know that, it's just that the way you lumped them together with Bing Crosby... it got me worried.)

    ReplyDelete