2/08/2013

Craft Space/Bedroom

     Here, as promised, are photos of my new craft space. Something about the photo quality is bugging me . . . I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just the grey sky. I'm sick of grey. Anyhow, I suppose you can still get the gist of the photo.
     I bought the table for thirty dollars at a horrid little thrift store down the street. It's a very nice shape and size, but it had an ugly laminate top when I bought it, and when I brought it home it reeked to high heaven of cigarette smoke. Hint: don't buy furniture from a place that smells awful. Even if you think the piece smells okay, it probably doesn't in a normal/clean setting. To make a long story short, I sanded the laminate by hand until my arms practically fell off, and then I painted the whole thing with a brown enamel paint. I felt a little insecure about painting it brown, but I really did want a chocolate brown color, and I'm glad I went for it. It turned out great. I'm not sure how well the surface will hold up, but I'm okay with it getting chipped or stained. It's a craft table!
     I bought the poster frame on sale at Hobby Lobby, and I found the poster on amazon. I made a collage above the table using old books, atlases, national geographic magazines, and martha stewart magazines. I suspect I'll switch it up eventually, but I rather like it. The typewriter was a thrift store find . . . I traded my old one to Sam, because light blue looked nicer with my color scheme. All of my craft supplies are in glass jars that I've accumulated.
     Really, everything on the top of the table . . . the jars, typewriter, etc. . . are in temporary places. I still haven't finished setting up. I need some more space for organizing supplies, and I'll probably have some stacks of books that end up on the table. But it's nice. I like it.
      This is my newest piece of furniture. I bought it at the Goodwill for twenty-five dollars. It's very small, but that's okay. I'm small too. It's very, very comfy. The cats tried to steal it right away, and Sam likes to sit there with his laptop in the evening when the little boys have gone to bed. I suppose I'll allow it if he's willing to have his ear talked off. I'm talkative late at night. He laughs at me a lot because I say funny things about myself, but I suspect he knows that most of them are actually true.
     Oh, one last thing. Here's a photo of my bed, just as a reminder that it's . . . yellow! I spray-painted it yellow last year. Yep. It's a very happy colored bed. It has a colorful quilt top, too.

     Sooo anyway. These photos are really bugging me, but I hope you liked them. Photographing your house is hard, because each photo seems very separate, even though the objects are located right next to each other in real life . . . The chair is at the foot of the bed, and the craft space is across from the bed and it all works together very nicely. The yellows and blues are so pretty together. You should visit me some time, and then you can see it for real.

P.S. One more "one last thing." There's also a tall bookcase in my bedroom. Surprised? ;) Nah, I bet you're not.

14 comments:

  1. yes, i *should* visit you sometime!!!!!!!
    i think the pictures are loverly too. that collage is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chair just LOOKS comfortable. I'm on a beanbag in Cait's room because she kicked me off sitting on her bed. Isn't it funny how sisters' bedrooms make great congregating places? Hmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mime is also a great talker at night. I prefer sleeping.

      Your craft space looks great! And the chair....ooo, so comfy. (Nice little collection of books, there, posing for the camera.) I especially like all the stuff on the wall. Inspiring. Next time I'm in the US, I'll have to come round and visit, eh? *wink* ;D

      Delete
    2. @Mime: Hmm . .. yesss. Funny that.
      @Cait: Oh yes, you certainly must!

      Delete
    3. NEXT time she's in the US? WHAT is she not telling me?! Ah, Cait? Cait?!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're craft space is beautiful and may I add organized? I love collages and DIY. Cute space you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT'S what I call a craft space!

    Arielle // Spaceship to Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowsers! I don't personally have a wall with a bunch of pictures and posters on it, but I've always admired others that do. How'd you stick them on the wall? Tape? That putty stuff?
    That quilt is so pretty! My mother used to make quilts and I have one with butterflies all over it.
    I know just what you mean about the pictures looking discombobulated!
    Yes, blue and yellow, one of the *best* color combinations. =)

    `Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used plasti-tac! Haha, "discombobulated" is the perfect word for it. =]

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean about the photos, but I like them! I LOVE the yellow bed! Cool typewriter too. You have put yellow on my mind now!
    bxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your room is beautiful!! I love your bed as well, it's so vibrant! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bed! Yellow's my favorite color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very nice work space area that you've got! I love the collage on the walls; it looks great.

    P.S. I also enjoy your blog-title-circle-thing at the top:D

    ReplyDelete