2/05/2013

And I Quote

   Today I've been fiddling around with watercolors and index cards. I'm trying to build up a collection of quotes for my craft space. I'm excited to show you some photos. I made a giant collage above my table, and I'm waiting for a poster to arrive in the mail. I've got my glass jars with colored pencils and brushes unpacked, and I have my light blue typewriter out. Everything is turning out so pretty and sunny! I smile every time I walk in my bedroom. But enough talk about that. It's not time for photos until my poster arrives. Meanwhile, I thought I would share some of the quotes that I'd like to tack up. Who doesn't love a good quote?
. . . . . . . . 

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

"Our truest response to the irrationality of the world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth." -Madeleine L'Engle

"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

"Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them." -Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

"Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly." -Cornelia Funke, Inkheart 

"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." -Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

"Whoever is happy will make others happy, too." -Anne Frank

"Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it." -Mary Oliver 

"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E.B. White

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." -George Bernard Shaw

. . . . . . . .

Have a favorite quote? Leave it in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. Ah, quotes quotes. There's no better way to inspire yourself than words from great people.

    Lovely post, Lydia!

    Arielle // Spaceship to Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty!! I really like watercolors. I love your creativity! I have a really hard time being creative on my own...:/ It's awful.
    Beautiful quotes...The last three are my favorites. Especially the one by E. B. White. :) <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i *love* the Cornelia Funk ones. of course. ;)

    one of my favorite quotes is latin..it goes: "animus est in pantinis"- it means...
    "my thoughts are among the sauce pans".
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love quotes. I don't know if I could pick an absolute favorite, but my favorite of the moment is this: "True love will triumph in the end - which may or may not be a lie, but if it is a lie, then it's the most beautiful lie we have." - John Green
    I'm really looking forward to the photos of your bedroom! (If that doesn't sound creepy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really love the last one. But the one by Markus Zusak is a deep favourite. Here's my top quote (for, like, today, because there are too many awesome quotes out there to have an top-of-tops favourite): "You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” Madeleine L'Engle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's one of my favorite L'Engle quotes.

      Delete
  6. Urgh, I can't wait to see your craft space! And looooooooooooove your post cards, so much YES going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I absolutely love quotes! Ooh, I got a typewriter the other day! I've been setting up my space, too. So you paint?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous! :) As for my favorite quote, I must have about a hundred of them! Because I don't want to overflow your comment box, I'll share just one. I can't find who said it, but it's had quite an impact on me: "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful artwork and quotes, Lydia!
    I have also nominated you for an award :-) http://thelovelyboat.blogspot.com/2013/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. HII!! I really like these quoted but your cards are wonderful♥

    Such a vintage job! ^^
    WANNA be friends? I´m Barbora from Abitconfusing.blogspot.com


    XOXO B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely post :)
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really good post!! Thank you

    I just started a new blog
    www.coloreport.blogspot.mx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cards look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A light blue typewriter?! Ahh, I would love a typewriter, they are just too cool.
    Quoteses; I mean to make a quote book soon I got the idea from another blog, but I like your index card idea.
    I remember that quote from To Kill a Mockingbird! Which is kinda suprising since I read it 'bout 4 years ago, but I liked it a lot, which is probably why the book report I did on it (and found a week 'r so ago and read) turned out good.

    ~Jenny
    That one from J.K Rowling is good, I like it. =D

    ReplyDelete