1/10/2013

Books are Beautiful Things

     We finally finally brought back the last of our boxes and furniture. The house is very chaotic ... books lying everywhere, furniture being rearranged, etc. The piano is still in the truck, and we have to bring it up seven porch steps. Yikes.
     I spent most of the morning unpacking books and shelving them. Seeing my  books made me so happy. I was probably grinning like an idiot. It's wonderful to see their familiar faces! Well . . . not faces really, more like spines and covers. But you know what I mean.
     I've been arranging them alphabetically, because that's how I like it. Halfway through I started wondering how they would look if I arranged them by color ... red, orange, yellow, blue, green, purple. Hmm. Maybe I'll save that thought for a day when I'm feeling extremely bored or obsessive-compulsive. Too much work for now.

     You know, books are beautiful things. Covers, spines, pages, every part of them. I like the way my books look next to each other. Red spines next to blue spines. Classics next to fantasies. Austen next to Alcott. Durrell next to Dickens and Dickinson. Antique books next to shiny new paperbacks. They're beautiful. Beautiful beautiful. 
     I've started a book blog on tumblr where I'll be posting book quotes and photographs of the books I'm reading. It's kind of a combination of photography/reading resolutions for the new year. You can find it HERE.
    Also, a quick note concerning blog comments. A few months ago I disabled the word verification feature because I know (from experience) how annoying it can be for blog readers. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of problems with spam comments in the last few weeks, and I'll have to turn that back on. Hope it isn't too inconvenient.

19 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a lot of my books in forever. I can't wait to go home to my alphabetically-ordered bookshelf.

    Also, I have a book Tumblr too: http://ineedadelorean.tumblr.com/
    BOOK TUMBLR BUDDIES!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my books packed up for 4-5 months. It was awful! Lol.
      Oh yay! Thanks for leaving your link.

      Delete
  2. INKSPELL! eek. favorite right there <3 I've been wanting to rearrange all my books on my shelf, I might end up doing that today! :)
    I have an old {60-70yrs old} paper back Dickens, its gorgeous. and since its Great Expectations I can say its my favorite for more reasons than its looks! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Now I need Inkheart and Inkdeath.
      Mom has an old paperback David Copperfield that she got from her dad. I wonder if they're from the same set.

      Delete
  3. I don't know exactly why, but I love seeing pictures of other people's bookshelves. I like seeing old favorites there as well as discovering new titles that just might become a favorite. I love the way they look stacked neatly next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always get really excited when I find someone who loves the same books I love =)

      Delete
  4. Arranging by colour looks awesome! I did all our bookshelves like that, honestly, a work of art. ;) But, mum and mime rearranged them all into sonlight cores again. So. Boring. I had a good time picking out how many books I recognized in your pictures. Eek! Shadow Spinner (best) and Homesick (so fun).

    We're getting a lot of spam without our word verification too. But I'm just telling blogger they're spam and it sometimes deletes them for me. It's a bit hit and miss though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Creativity smashers ;)

      Blogger usually sorts out my spam comments and doesn't publish them. The issue is really ME ... I hate getting spam in my e-mail. It makes me mad ;P

      Delete
  5. I'm slowly growing my own personal book collection. I have seven of my very own and this year I want to get a whole bunch more and buy a shelf. We have a library in our house and have like eight huge shelves but a lot of those books are children books or philosophical books haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy-library building, then! =)

      Delete
  6. I love books too! They are beautiful in their own way. I have a book shelf in my room, and every time a read a book I put it on my shelves. It makes me so happy to put another book on the shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! New books and completed books are happy things.

      Delete
  7. I did mine by color and I love it. So visually appealing!:) Glad you have your books finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, it's official. I have to try organizing my books by color some day soon.

      Delete
  8. Books are beautiful! I have a shelf that runs right above my desk so I can always see them. Something is mystical about them when they are lined up on a shelf, ready for you to read them. It's as if they are just waiting for you to uncover their secrets...
    And I do think books make a good decorating tool, they always look good. Stacked, shelf-ed, scattered, color coated, half stacked-half lined up. Very versatile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! They're excellent for decorating with.

      Delete
  9. Girl I can't wait to unpack my books! Moving is a pain and having all my books packed away all by themselves is getting me down. I am so glad you have been able to unpack yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a pain, and it's so nice to unpack and settle in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a 2 metre book shelf and it's almost full- that's how much of a book worm I am! And from first hand experience, I kind of advise you NOT to organise the books by colour even if it looks very pretty. I did that....then I got annoyed because I took a long time scouring for whatever I wanted. So back to boring but efficient alphabetical :)

    ReplyDelete