12/05/2012

Life in General

     Ever notice how everything has a way of happening all at once or not at all? Life is certainly not balanced. It's dreadfully inconsistent, in fact. Today is only the fifth, but December has been a hurried, frazzled sort of month. And here's the thing: I've neglected to write about several important developments that occurred over the last few weeks, so now I shall be obliged to dump a torrent of information on you.

     Sam and I are both attending driving school. We attend class three evenings out of the week, and it's quite wearisome. If we still lived in Arkansas, I would have my license by now. But we don't, we live in Illinois, and so I have to spend thirty-six (?) hours in the classroom, and I have to drive for six hours with my instructor. After completing the driving course, I have to drive on my permit for nine months and I have to clock fifty hours of driving, ten of which must be after dark. Lovely, no? Needless to say, it is very time-consuming.
     We've also signed up for classes at the community college, and we'll start on those in January. Currently, I'm headed towards a graphic design degree. I'm taking Drawing I and Speech on campus, and Web Page Design and Computer Art online. I'm so excited! It's going to be quite fun. I've met two other girls at youth group who are also taking classes at the community college, so that's also exciting. It's hard not to have old friendships, but it's less hard when you get a chance to start new ones.
      The house is a constant project. Currently, we're re-finishing the living room floor, which means the house is filled with fumes and everything is squashed and claustrophobic. It will be beautiful when it's done though! After we settle into the re-modeled living room and dining room, I'll be moving into a new bedroom. We still have quite a lot of boxes in storage at our old house, and I'm excited to pick them up. I haven't done any projects or crafts for three months! And I'm missing my books. Really missing my books.  
          
     Speaking of books, I've had my library card for two months now, and that blasted library probation is up! I'm overjoyed :) I can use the inter-library loan now, and I can request almost anything! Speaking of which: have any book recommendations? I'm up for anything. Deep and thoughtful books, mysteries, memoirs and autobiographies, interesting nonfiction, fast-paced young adult . . . anything! To be quite honest, I'm having way too much fun thinking up all the different books that I can read ;)

13 comments:

  1. I'd suggest Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome, its hilarious and I think you'd really like it :)
    I'm glad you finally blogged about all that stuff, lol, even tho I already knew most or all of it ;)
    I like that picture, and the moon in it..its pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think I'll look for that! It looks splendid :)

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! Driving sounds like a hassel up there! We had to drive 40 hours here, but they don't even ask you to make sure you did when you take your permit or driving tests...and that is all...
    You should check out The Girl in the Glass. I am reading it right now and it is quite lovely!!! Beautifully written in every way. I am going to do a review on it on my blog as soon as I finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yepyep, I'm pretty jealous of my friends in Arkansas and Missouri :P

      Delete
  3. wow! :P That's a pain! It's not nearly so much hassle out here to get a permit. :P As you already know. and what you said about the huge paper permit in a plastic bag I was like O.O . yeah. That's awful.
    Graphic design? That's so exciting!! Cool stuff that. :D
    and no...Life isn't balanced. I've noticed that for sure. lol.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is AZ you can get your permit at 15 1/2 and then you have to have it for 6 months, then you can get your license. But you don't have to have any hours, classes or anything to get your license. You only have to take a driving test and if you pass, you get your license. They really make you work for it there!
    A book I recommend is The Princetta. It's a mixture of adventure, fantasy, (tiny bit of) romance, and independence. My all time favorite book. The author has amazing word choice and it's very poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God speed with the driving classes. I'll be doing those in spring even though it's such a drag because nothing is close by in VT. :P
    Ooohh, it sounds like your living room will be stellar when it's done.
    The book "Orca" by Erich Hoyte is really good thus far (still reading it) and MLK Jr.'s autobio is excellent.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, your method of getting a license sounds wonderful! No kidding! In Oz, (at least in my state) we have to drive 120 hours, 20 of those being at night, and THEN take a test. And then after 1 year, more tests...until about 4 years later (if you do everything right) you might be on an open license. But anyway... ;)

    Those college classes sound really, really awesome. And yay for no probation on your library card. !! :D There is such a freeing feeling at being able to borrow ANY book you want. Ahh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! And here I am feeling sorry for myself. That sounds terrible :-/

      Delete
  7. Community college sounds exciting! I'm going towards graphic design related courses as well. :) Also, hooray for the probation being up! If you want a few suggestions on new things to read, you can check out my Goodreads profile. I have just about 300 books listed on there. xD I would recommend Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris, the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke, The Mysterious Benedict Society series by Trenton Lee Stewart, and Uncompromising by Hannah Farver, if you haven't already read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Community college, that is awesome! I'm glad your settling in, minus the books, I'd miss them too.:( But glad to hear about making new friends. the driving will be worth it when you get there, I know it's frustrating waiting at times. Have a great day/night/whenever you see this.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, I awarded you an award on my blog.:)
    http://msrebeccamarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this, a lot a lot. I like updates, ha. It's just so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete