12/12/2012

A Pepperminty Day

     Sometimes I forget that winter comes with coughs, headaches, sore throats, and uneasy stomachs. Poor Jason is still feeling miserably sick and so is Ben. The rest of us have escaped the worst of it (we hope) but nobody feels grand. It's a day for cough drops, kleenexes, jello, chicken-cilantro soup, tea, and peppermints. It's a day for curling up in bed with a book and wearing pajamas and moving slowly.
     We've been busy and sick, so we haven't gotten to make Christmas cookies yet, and our small box of Christmas decorations is still at our old house. All the same though . . . it's only thirteen days until Christmas and that is quite exciting. Today I helped Mom with some of her online Christmas shopping. I've done horribly with my own Christmas shopping done. In fact, I only have one Christmas present purchased: a doodletop for Jason. Have you ever noticed that guys are hard to shop for? I have four of them. Jason is still easy, but Ben has reached an awkward in-between stage and Sam and Dad are fairly impossible. But hey, if all else fails, I know what candy they like best ;)
     I haven't been reading much lately. Today I finished Among the Shadows by L.M. Montgomery and I'm still working on A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True. I've been stuck on it for several days, but it's not the book's fault, because the book is quite nice. It's just a mood or a cycle that I'm in. I only have fifty pages though, so I think that I can finish it today.
     Tomorrow Sam and I have a driving session. I'm not really looking forward to it. I'll be glad when driving school is over. I don't like having my nighttime eaten up. Night is when I feel most alive and creative. I like night very much, and I like to have freedom when it's nighttime. I understand that early mornings are inspiring, and it even feels right that early morning should be best. But I've always liked night. I can't help it.

Laughing / Is it Christmas? 
Listening / Can't Help Falling in Love - The Piano Guys

13 comments:

  1. Ug, I'm hopeless at buying presents. For anyone. And then when I do, I'm not that good at keeping secrets. (But in my defense, it was my other sister's fault Cait knows what amazing present she's getting for Christmas!) :)

    Oh, the miseries of colds! (pity summer doesn't rule them out--I've had mine for a week!) My condolences! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got Dad and Ezra's presents!! I'm officially done. ^_^
    and I completely agree, night time will always be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, mornings are better. At night I start feeling something akin to a lukewarm zombie. And yes, our family is hopeless at keeping secrets. All secrets so far (that involve me, anyway) I think are ruined. :( I need help. Serious secret help.

    Oh! Get better soon! And good luck with the driving... ;D Don't run anyone over (nice aren't I?)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :P I'm the *worst* about Christmas shopping...I haven't done hardly anything toward Christmas presents yet and it's disturbingly close. I do have somewhat of a plan for most of my people though. :D
    I'm sorry you guys aren't feeling well. :P We just got through a flu thing and I'm working on ditching a cold....I hope you feel better soon!
    I love night. It's my favorite. I'm *rarely* inspired in the morning. lol. I'm like, the furthest thing in the world from a morning person. :) <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. Everyone in our house has been getting sick so often lately, and I think I'm starting to catch a cold. (I better NOT be sick on Christmas!)
    That's just how winter is I think.

    If it makes you feel any better, I almost ran 3 people over when I was in Driver's Education. (the instructor had to pull the brake three plus times)
    I felt awful!
    Anyway, good luck to you!

    ---->> Kate

    p.s Ooohh, chicken cilantro soup sounds utterly delicious at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH boys are SO hard to shop for. Except for baby boys. That's easy. But dads and grown up brothers? Forget about it.

    Hope you feel better soon! I am sick too :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed. Guys are so incredibly hard to shop for. I hope you and your family feels better soon! I was recently fun, and it’s no fun. I also love the picture of the cat in the bright chair. :)

    -Victoria Horea

    ReplyDelete
  8. my, that chair is gorgeous and i totally want it. sell it? if the cat's included, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you do have a lot of boys to shop for.
    I'm in love with the cat resting on the orange chair.
    Peppermint is the best and colds the worst. Those achy days are annoying. Good luck driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I intend to follow you as soon as I access blogger from my computer)

      Delete
  10. Feel better soon!!
    Oh my word...your cat looks like it could be my cat's twin. O_O Like, serious.
    Urg, I only have one Christmas gift for one person so far. So much to do and Christmas is almost here! *gasp*
    Merry Christmas!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you all will feel better soon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that orange chair! :)

    ReplyDelete