11/03/2012

Five Reasons Why I Read Classic Books

 "Classic" - a book which people praise and don't read. (Mark Twain)

     Classic books are interesting creatures. Sometimes they get knocked and disrespected because they're old or boring, but sometimes they are held in unnecessary reverence, simply because they are "classic." Maybe the best attitude is somewhere in between the two. I don't believe that anyone should pretend to like a book that they hate. I think a book should be judged by its content and not by its label or reputation. However, I do think that classics deserve a certain amount of respect, because people have loved and admired them for centuries. Books can influence people greatly! I think it's good to be familiar with the books that have influenced the world. So without further ado, here are five reasons why I read classic books . . . 

1. Reading a classic book gives you a feel for different time periods. It gives you a better idea of what people were talking about and thinking about during the time that the book was written.
2. Classic books stretch your brain. They improve your vocabulary and they make you think about different questions, perspectives, and viewpoints. Additionally, some of them are pretty hard to plow through, so it builds character ;)
3. The more classics you read, the more literary references you understand. (And understanding literary references makes you feel extremely smart.)
4. Reading classic books helps improve your reading skill and comprehension. The more you read, the easier it is to read!
5. Reading (and finishing) a classic book leaves you with a sense of superior accomplishment. Aren't literary accomplishments the best sort?

     Some classic books are boring. Some aren't. You'll like some of them, and you won't like others of them. It's not as though all classic books are the same. They're as wide and varied as the books people write today. It's not a big deal if you don't like a certain "classic" book. But it's good to recognize that there is some value in classic books. Agreed?

P.S. Can you think of any other reasons to read classic books? What classic books do you like or dislike?
P.P.S. Thanks for all of your comments on my last post! I enjoyed reading them. DSLRs and NaNoWriMo seem to be popular topics in the blogging world, eh? ;)

18 comments:

  1. Those are all great reasons for reading classics! I would also add that, for most of them, they had some moral to share and to be learned from. Not all of them had one, but most!
    I LOVE classics! So very much.
    Some that I have enjoyed immensely would be Treasure Island, Old Fashioned Girl, War and Peace, National Velvet (I'm a horse person, :D) and Robinson Crusoe. I could add plenty more to the list, but these ones stuck out to me right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "An Old Fashioned Girl"! That and "Eight Cousins" have to be my favorite books by Alcott.

      Oh my, War and Peace? I'm a little afraid to tackle that one. I forgot to mention that some classics are very looong. Haha!

      Delete
  2. "I think a book should be judged by its content and not by its label or reputation.”-Truth! These are all great reasons, and agree with every one of them. I try to read the classics. Some are really hard to read, but like you said, you feel very accomplished by the end. They’re called classics for a reason, so I always try to read them and find that reason. ;) Thank you very much for following my blog I appreciate it!

    -Victoria Horea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'm always curious what the reason is :)

      Delete
  3. truetrueture!
    finishing a classic is SO an awesome accomplishment! ^_^
    i've read a ton of classic books that are horrific, sadly most of them were supposedly poetry. -_-
    But i've read plenty that are superb! great post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, the poetry ones are usually a drudge. Like Beowulf, eh? ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha, these are great reasons. Classic books are awesome but I totally get what you mean about people saying books are good just cause they are classic... I've read some classics that I really didn't enjoy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a hard time getting past some of the vocabulary and word orders in classics at first, but I do much better with them now. I'm reading Heidi, and a few of my favorites are Anne of Green Gables, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and The Hobbit. For some reason, classics are more therapeutic to me than most novels released today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, see . . . point number four, it gets easier! ;D Those are some of my favorites too. And I agree, I like fast-paced and thrilling books sometimes, but older books are best when I'm feeling down. I'm always most comforted by Narnia, James Herriot, and anything by L.M. Montgomery =)

      Delete
  6. Totally agree. reading classics are just amazing, even though some of them are quite hard to understand. thanks for sharing! :) - Jianine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic books always scare me a little bit, but I always try to read them anyway. Usually I find that once I get through the first few chapters, everything goes a lot smoother and I actually start getting drawn into the story. For some, Jane Austen in particular, it really helps me to have seen the movie. That way I have a basic idea of what's happening so that it's easier to follow. Some of my favorite classics are Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Dracula and anything L.M. Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.M. Montgomery! I've been collecting her books since I was nine or ten. They're my absolute favorites.

      Delete
  8. Ack, I'm very bad on my classical reading habits. I really should try harder. But those words scramble my brains...and the plots! I LOVE Mark Twain's humour, and Dickens puts out a good story (though everyone ends up related, I mean, what's with that??), but *Jane Eyre* was entirely disturbing. Talk about child abuse. I got very riled in that one when they locked her up and told her she was *a devil*, just because they felt like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Twain is hilarious. I like Dickens too, but it's very hard for me to get through one of his books.

      Haha, I love your take on Jane Eyre. I think I read that book when I was twelve or thirteen. Fascinating, but very weird and creepy!

      Delete
  9. I am realizing I have read like...*NONE* of the books on your list!!! :O
    Have you read The Rosary?
    That book I could read and reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not read it, but I'll look it up! Who wrote it?

      Delete
  10. I love Jane Eyre and most anything by Jane Austen, and A Tale of Two Cities. And I definitely agree that they give you a wider or better vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete