11/13/2012

Beauty & Thankfulness

    This year I've grown some. I think I've started noticing beauty more than I usually do. I've started looking for it on purpose, and I've found it in small things. I've consciously thought to myself this is lovely, this is wonderful, I like this. Sometimes I've remembered to thank God for beautiful things, but more often I haven't. I'm glad for the times I did. I thought I might feel dumb thanking God for trees or windows, but I really don't. It seems right.

     I wish I would grow a little more. I've been crabby for several months. Life has been rough since moving. It hasn't been rotten, it just hasn't been smooth, and I haven't responded well to that. I still notice beauty. I still feel like I'm cheerful, and I feel like an optimist. But optimism and happiness haven't really transferred from my head to my attitude and actions. It's easier to be a crabby bedroom-hermit, I guess. Noticing beauty is great, but I want to learn how to express that in my words and attitude.

     I'm thankful that I get to create beautiful things. I'm thankful for books, words, quotes, and libraries. I'm thankful for music and art. I'm thankful for genres, opinions, styles, perspectives . . . variety! I'm thankful that I'm an individual. I'm thankful for nice clothing, leather bags, comfortable shoes, and hats. I'm thankful for colors, textures, and shapes. I'm thankful that I've always had reasons to believe in love. I'm thankful that my grandma is safe. I'm thankful that her cancer is gone. I'm thankful for my camera and my dog. I'm thankful for my brothers and my parents. I'm thankful for new beginnings. I'm thankful that I'm free to notice and create beauty. November has been a good month. And I want, very badly, to get back into the habit of happiness.

7 comments:

  1. This is very much, a wonderful post<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Noni above. It is VERY MUCH a beautiful post. And I really like the photo, it just seems to fit everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is sweet :) lovely post, and i agree on everything. (love the photo too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post so much. and your thankful list (leather bags! yes!) is the best!
    the picture is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. noticing beauty is one of the very best things in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I need to remember this too--Life is really lovely when we take a moment to appreciate it. Thanks, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I strongly believe that gratitude is the key to true happiness...this is a beautiful post! Such truth!

    ReplyDelete