10/10/2012

Small Libraries

     The library in our new town is just a few miles from our house. It's only a couple minutes away by car, and it's somewhere between twenty and thirty minutes on foot. Sam and I have already walked there. It's a long walk, but it was really nice to get out of the house and go somewhere.
     We live in a small town, so it's not a very big library. But it has a pretty good selection. I've lived lots of places and I've seen all types of libraries, big and small. This is the good type of small library. They have nice books and nice librarians, and they have a huge library network (which means a huge inter-library loan system). Right now we're on a sixty day probation. (You can be on library probation? Apparently.) After the sixty days are over, we'll be able to use our cards at other libraries around the area, and we'll be able to get books through the inter-library loan. We'll also be able to check out fifty books instead of five, however the librarian told us that she wouldn't really recommend doing that. ;)
      The funny thing about small libraries is this: they each have their own unique selection. There's usually some basic books and genres they have in common, but past that they vary quite a bit. For instance, one small library might have a huge mystery selection while another library might have more science fiction. One library might have lots of older, obscure books while another library might have all of the latest bestsellers. They each have their own personality. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but it's mostly been a good thing for me. I've lived in lots of rural areas and small towns, so I wouldn't have much to read if each small library was the same as every other small library.

     What about you? Can you walk to your library? Is it a small library or a big one? 

7 comments:

  1. I can walk to our town's *small library* (yes, we have 2! A big AND a small.) But the big one waits for a special trip. But really? Library probation for 60 DAYS?!! We had about a 1 week probation when we first moved here (we could only borrow 3 books).

    Libraries can definitely be quirky. Sometimes it's the books. Sometimes it's the people behind the desks too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty normal for libraries to restrict the amount of books you get to check out on your first week. But we were a little astonished at the sixty days. Quite a contrast to the last small library we went to, which didn't even fine you for overdue books! (Small wonder that they had several empty shelves!)

      Haha! Librarians can be real characters sometimes.

      Delete
  2. ah, I could just live in a library:) I love them! I used to volunteer for our library! I loved it! our library now is about medium sized, but we can't really walk to it:\ love this post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I could too. I could also live in Barnes and Noble. Haha!

      That's awesome! Volunteering at the library sounds like fun. =)

      Delete
  3. I COULD walk to my library... but it would take a few days, at least. I live about half an hour from the nearest city :P And I am terrible about returning books so I don't go that often. I usually end up buying books for cheap online or borrowing them from friends.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm always going to the library, but I like buying books too. =) One of my favorite websites is Paperback Swap. If you mail one of your old books to someone, then you get to request a book from someone else! So basically, it's all for the price of postage. Amazon is also a great place for buying books :D

      Delete
    2. Oohhh I've heard of that website. My sister did it a few times. I will check it out!

      Delete