10/27/2012

On Inspiration and Creativity

      We're all chasing inspiration. Sometimes we find it, sometimes we don't. But it's something to look for. It's something to think about, and to take notes on.
     I'm most inspired when I'm living life. When I'm off the computer . . . going places, meeting people, and reading books. I'm least inspired when I fill my mind with the same ideas and only seek out the people who fit in my own little niche. I'm least inspired when I only read about and meet people who are exactly like me.

     Most of us know that if you want your blog to grow, you have to build a community. You have to connect with people who have the same interests and talents. That's something that I didn't know when I started blogging. I didn't know that I would meet new people and make good friends. I didn't know that it was such a huge part of blogging. Now it's one of my favorite parts.
     It's good to know people who have the same interests and think the same things. But I also find that if I get too absorbed in my little community, I lose my inspiration. I have to stay on my own path and keep striving to be myself if I want to be truly creative.
     I guess I'm saying that we, as bloggers, have to be careful. If we fill our heads with the things that everyone else writes, guess what? We'll start to sound like everyone else. If we follow all the popular blogs, guess what? We will become so obsessed with the popular bloggers that we'll turn into them instead of turning into us. And honestly? Turning into someone else is not very creative. But following your true self, becoming your true self, and writing the things that come out of your own head is creative.

     In my opinion, the best way to stay creative and inspired is to live your own life, meet different people, and spread your wings. Read about different people. Think about different opinions. Admire different sorts of art, and then go make your own kind of art. I hope that makes sense. It makes sense to me. 

11 comments:

  1. I'm inspired! Bring on the extra-inspiration-and-awesome-new-things. But you're right, it's easy to fall into *being like everyone else*. I want to be me. I want my blog to be me (well, partly me, because the other part is mime).

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this! I have been thinking the same thing, too! I need to spend less time on other blogger's blogs and go live my life so I can have some things to blog on and be creative with! this was for sure a great reminder for me! thank you, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yus, this makes perfect sense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is lovely and really inspiring. thank you for sharing, and i totally agree on this! xx
    -Jianine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Just yes. I completely and totally agree with you. I cringe when I see a blog post that is obviously just a copy of some mega-blogger's posts. I think being yourself as a blogger is so important.
    Kristin @ Serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I tend to shy away from the "popular" blogs. I love to find the little unique blogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia... This post is awesome! It inspired me. Keep it up! I don't know how many times I've commented on your blog, but I read it and I appreciate you're original creativeness;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments, girls! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!!

    " In my opinion, the best way to stay creative and inspired is to live your own life, meet different people, and spread your wings."

    Couldn't have said this any better. Xx

    ReplyDelete