10/24/2012

Let's Talk About Books

     So. I'm in the mood to talk about books. First of all: The Princess Bride is amazing. Let's all agree on that, shall we? My mind seems to be stuck on Westley and Inigo Montoya and epic quotes. Second of all: I think I'm going to re-read Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon. Maybe I should also re-visit Jane of Lantern Hill, and . . . oh, never mind. I'll stop there. I just miss L.M. Montgomery. (I think that can be remedied, though.)
     Thirdly! I haven't done a book stack post for a very, very long time. Therefore, I am going to tell you about the books I've been reading and the books that I'm looking forward to reading. Ready? Here goes.

images via goodreads
The last five books I've read . . .

Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler by Trudi Kanter
My mom got this book at the library for me. It's a World War II memoir about a fashionable milliner and her escape from Austria. It's not a fictional account so it isn't particularly stunning or shocking. It's a simple story about life during that time period. Very realistic and interesting. I liked her writing style, and I liked the parts about the hats and Paris. Sometimes she jumped around between past and present tense in a way that was confusing. Overall though, I really liked the way she told her story.

I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was) by Bill Cosby
I like Bill Cosby. I liked his book too, but I would rather watch him than read him. His writing sounded exactly like him. Half of the time I could literally hear him saying the sentences in my head. But it wasn't all that great on paper. Like I said, I'd rather watch him than read him. It would be much more hilarious if it was combined with his voice, gestures and expressions. 

Below Stairs by Margaret Powell 
According to the cover, this is the memoir that inspired the television shows Upstairs, Downstairs and Downton Abbey. I haven't actually seen either of those shows, but I really like that time period and I liked reading this book. From what I've heard, I doubt that the main plots and characters for Downton Abbey or Upstairs, Downstairs come directly from this book. However, I think that the general feel and atmosphere is similar. I'd definitely recommend it if you like the early 1900s and 1940s.

Sons from Afar by Cynthia Voigt
I've always loved the Tillerman family (they first appeared in Homecoming) so I liked reading another book about them. I think I read half of this book once and didn't finish it for some reason, so a lot of the plot was familiar. I suppose the series is some what dated (they were young adult books in the 1980s) but they're on my list of favorites. I'm still looking for Seventeen Against the Dealer! I can't seem to find that book anywhere.

The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak
I loved, loved, loved it. I'm interested in books about World War II that are told from a German perspective, and I always fall in love with plots that revolve around books. So this was a win. It's uniquely written and very quotable. Rudy, Liesel, and Hans Hubermann easily made my list of favorite literary characters. Maybe Rosa Hubermann too. She kind of grows on you. There's a lot of swearing in the book, and it's definitely a book that's only appropriate at a certain age/level of maturity. However, it's a book that makes you think. I'll be looking for more books by Markus Zusak.

images via goodreads
These five books are at the top of my (extremely long) to-read list . . .

An Autobiography by Agatha Christie
Thunderhead by Mary O'Hara
My Life In France by Julia Child 
A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka
Menagerie Manor by Gerald Durrell 

     I'm hoping that all of these books are good choices and that I'll be able to get my hands on them soon. Have you read any of the books in this post? What did you think of them? What's on you're to-read list and what have you been reading? Do comment!  

11 comments:

  1. I lovelovelove The Book Thief. I agree, it is quite quotable. I find myself doing just that all the time. The others sound good as well. I just may have to add them to my ever-growing stack of books to read.
    Kristin @ Serendipity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, you said you were looking for more by Markus Zusak: I Am the Messenger is a very good read as well!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm really hoping my library has it!

      Delete
  2. I've only read 1 Cynthia Voigt (Dicey's Song), which I found out wasn't the first in the series. And can I find anymore? NO! Talk about frustrating. I did love it though. The Book Thief looks really interesting. I might go look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer :p Homecoming is pretty great. I love all of the characters.


      Oh, I think you'd like The Book Thief!

      Delete
  3. Let me know how the julia child book is. I just watched julie and julia recently and now I'm very curious about her. And I'm tempted to buy mastering the art of french cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm curious about her recipes.

      Delete
  4. I've been on a Louisa May Alcott kick. LOVE Little Women. I'm currently reading a biography on her. Saw My Life In France recently at a thrift store. Almost picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was thinking about re-reading Little Women too. =)

      Delete
  5. I don’t think I can ever get tired of reading Anne of Green Gables. :) For some reason I thought I was following your blog, but then I saw that I wasn’t, so I decided to change that immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would the world be without Anne??? Haha, welcome aboard then!

      Delete