6/11/2012

Books that made me laugh . . .


      Last month I wrote a post called "Books that made me cry . . . " Today's post is sort of a sequel to that post, only much happier. I always prefer laughing to crying. Who doesn't? I told you guys that not many books make me cry real tears. Well that's sort of true when it comes to laughter. I don't do a lot of laughing out loud when I'm reading. But unlike the crying list, this list actually does have the potential to be a hundred books long. However, I've chosen to make the laughing list the same length as the crying list, so I was forced to chose the best of the best. (Only four!) The point is, there's many many more books that I've laughed my head off over, but these are the ones that I think everyone in the world should read =)

My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durrell
Apparently I talk about this book a lot, because my aunt checked it out at the library just because I kept mentioning it on my blog. She said she laughed through the whole book, which is exactly what my Dad did and exactly what I did. If you don't think this book is hilarious, I have serious doubts about your sense of humor. I won't go into the details of the story, but you can read this basic summary from Goodreads and this short post from my blog archives if you're looking for more info.

Cheaper by the Dozen - Frank Gilbreth & Ernestine Carey
I've read this book over and over again, and it never fails to make me laugh. It's similar to My Family and Other Animals, in that it's a real life autobiography about an entire family. (And this is quite the family!) Can you guess how many kids they have?


All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot
Now this one doesn't strictly fit the description of a hilarious book, but every time I re-read it I laugh harder than the time before. It's a bit of a slow book, so you won't be hanging off the edge of your seat, but it's definitely a book that everyone should read. This book could fit into a lot of different lists, and it's appeared on my blog many times. It made the laughing list simply because I love the characters, and they always make me laugh and smile. The Farnon brothers are my favorites, and I can't help cracking up over their conversations and interaction.


Anne of Green Gables - L. M. Montgomery
I was having a hard time thinking of a fourth book that matched the quality of the other three, when I noticed the L.M. Montgomery books on my dresser. Um, duh! Anne! This one is self-explanatory, since I'm assuming most of you are acquainted with Anne. On a side-note, it's completely embarrassing when you're having a book conversation with someone and they tell you that they've never read Anne of Green Gables. There's not much you can say to that, except  "Wow, what was wrong with your childhood?" or " Oh, you poor illiterate thing!" or something equally insulting.


     So there you have it. The laughing list. If you haven't read all of these, I would strongly suggest that you do some catching up. Oh. And I just noticed that three of these are autobiographies, which is mildly embarrassing. I would never say that I love autobiographies, but apparently that's more true than I realized. I guess somehow those three authors managed to write about their life in a way that was honest, hilarious, and just plain wonderful. And that's what I aspire to do.

all images via goodreads.com

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for making this list. I've been reading literally the saddest books EVER lately and I need to look for something lighter to read.

    I remember reading Anne of Green Gables. I didn't think I was going to like it at first because Marilla was so mean, but I ended up loving Anne. I need to read that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Thank you for sharing these books for us. I've watched the Cheaper By The Dozen movie and it's hilarious! I'll probably try reading it soon xx
    -Jianine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you should definitely read the book. But I don't think it's the same as the movie . . . at all. Or should I say the movie isn't the same as the book.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Yes, Cheaper By the Dozen is an utter scream. I always laugh when I reread it... I don't usually "laugh really out loud" when I read too, except for one book...Rangers Apprentice. I laughed. I had to put down the book I laughed so hard. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never actually read Anne of Green Gables, but I've listened to it as an audio book twice, which amounts to about the same thing. I think she's a great character. I had to laugh reading that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to read the autobiography that you write someday :) Make sure I get a signed copy! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't write one yet. I have to wait for all of my interesting relatives to die ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness. I adore All Creatures Great and Small!!! It's soooo funny! It just makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete