5/21/2012

You Are My Sunshine

      Summer is coming along rather nicely. Last night I made some cut-out letters to go above my bulletin board. I've been wanting to do this for a while . . . I've seen it around Pinterest, and also in two blog posts (Life in the 852: Bella//Weekly Instagram) & (Definitely Screaming: Christmas Lights and Paper Butterflies) Most of the ones I've seen were cut out of magazines, but I wanted more pastel colors, so I put a little twist on it and used some old maps. I have several old atlases that I've picked up at thrift stores . . . they're very handy for this sort of thing.
     It took me a while to settle on a phrase or quote. Yesterday I was thinking about songs that "belong" to me because they contain so many memories. This is a song that my mom used to sing to Sam and I when we were little. It brings back memories of rocking chairs and quilts and dark, safe rooms. I also have a porcelain music box that my grandma bought on the day I was born, and it plays the same tune. I've grown up winding this song over and over again. It's not so much the verses I remember. I think Mom just sang the chorus. I can hear her singing it, and I can hear my music box tinkling away . . .

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.


P.S. This is my 300th post. I'm quite happy ^_^

8 comments:

  1. Aw! I love it! That's one of Josh's favorite songs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Lidja! The lyric looks wonderful on your wall, and I love that song too, my grandfather used to sing that to me when I was little haha xx
    -Jianine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Just lovely.
    Your wall is too cute x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using old maps is such a brilliant idea. Love the lyrics too, of course... :D And congrats on your 300th post!! Milestone! How long have you been blogging for now??

    ReplyDelete
  5. The map letters are really clever! It looks like you've got some quilt blocks on your bulletin board too. Are you going to make a quilt? Love,Grandma Morris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments, everyone =)
    @ Cait: I've been blogging for about a year and four months!
    @Grandma M: Thanks! Those quilt blocks are actually some very old ones that my Great Grandma Wildermuth made. But I am making a baby quilt =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhhhh, dude, I LOVE THAT IDEA!
    And I <3 that song.
    The bulletin board looks soo way cool!!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it!! can't wait to visit you to see it all in person ;)

    ReplyDelete