5/15/2012

Books that made me cry . . .

     I rarely cry when I read books. Why? I can't really say. It's not that I'm unemotional. It's certainly not that I don't love books, and it's not that I don't get involved with stories. Maybe I'm just not a crier. Nah, that's not true. I cry plenty in real life over lots of stupid things. Anyway, what it comes down to is this: I can only think of four books that made me cry. As I'm sure you can tell from the pictures, those four books were: Milkweed, To Kill a Mockingbird, Old Yeller, and Black Beauty. I lovelove the first two books, as I'm sure you all know. (I've talked about them plenty.) The last two? To tell the truth, I kind of hate them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    To Kill a Mockingbird is possibly my most favorite book of all time. I talk about it a lot. (You can read my latest comments on it here, and you can also read a really old review of it here.) Now I suppose there's plenty of poetic moments where I could've cried, but it's that little scene where Jem comes out of the courtroom crying and protesting that it's not fair. That was when I couldn't fight back my tears.
     Milkweed is another book that I've talked about before. I don't know exactly why this book is my favorite World War II story, but it is. I'm sure you probably think that I cried because someone died in a concentration camp, or something horrible happened to one of the characters. But really I cried at the end of the book, and I cried because the main character became a pathetic old man. An old man who still didn't understand what had happened, and an old man who stood on street corners and babbled helplessly about his lost friends to anyone who would listen. It was the saddest picture ever, and I cried my eyes out.
    Now concerning Old Yeller . . . the truth is, I only vaguely remember the story. Mostly I remember that it was required reading for school, and I also remember the sinking feeling I had when I saw it, because I knew that the dog was going to die. Why do people write books for children about dogs dying? I have a very unfortunate loathing for dog stories, and it's all because I read too many dog books with horrible endings when I was only eight years old. *makes face*
     As for Black Beauty? Well I don't like to admit it, but I have hated the story of Black Beauty for years. It's my own fault, really. I think I tried to read it when I was six or seven. Seriously, what kid reads Black Beauty when they're seven? Anyway, it was too much for me, and ever since then, I have considered it an unspeakably horrific book. I should probably read it again, especially since I liked My Friend Flicka. But I don't know. I just can't get over that awful first impression when I cried all day over Black Beauty.

What about you? Do books make you cry? Or, more specifically, which books made/make you cry?

all images via Goodreads

7 comments:

  1. I bawled my eyes out when one of Anne Of Green Gables sons died, I can't remember his name, but he was the son that was really close with his sister Rilla, omigosh. when I think about him dying i get so sad, i haven't cried over a book like that in a long time though.
    i'm not fond of crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, yes! Walter. I don't know if I actually *cried* but it was the saddest thing ever. He was my favorite character.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this post is lovely, and I'm embarrased to say this, but I cried a little when I was reading the Harry Potter series when Dobby died. I mean, why dobby of all the characters? He seemed so innocent and helping and I really liked him...And I don't remember crying over anything else, haha xx
    -Jianine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's not embarrassing! It was plenty sad =( *Sheds a silent tear*

      Delete
  3. If you read Black Beauty again, make sure to get the unabridged. OMG. It's still sad, but it's tons better when you're older and you read the unabridged.

    Some person at a bookstore recommended a book to me once called 'No More Dead Dogs'. Forgot who wrote that, but saying as we're on the topic of stupid ol' books that kill the dogs off, well, there's your fix. ;-D

    I think I shall get Milkweed and Mockingbird next time I go to the library. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. Maybe I shall read Black Beauty again. Maybe. I'll have to look up the "no more dead dogs" book. Oh and don't get your hopes up too high for those two books, or you might end up hating them (do NOT tell me if you do) XD But do check them out. In my opinion they're amazing.

      Delete
  4. Books make me WANT to cry...but I don't usually. I stay firm. :) (same as movies...no tears here). But yes, I've read a few books that make me really sad. Like "For the Term of his Natural Life" (which is a pretty old Australian classic actually). That was so sad. And unfair.

    And I really, really wanted to cry when I read "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". And "Jacob Have I loved" too. They're sad in places and unfair and just downright depressing at times. But they're excellent books...phewf, really excellent books... :]

    ReplyDelete