4/18/2012

What's Happening.

     Things did not go exactly as planned. We started out very early (before 5:00) on Sunday morning, and we dropped Dad off at the St. Louis airport. From there we continued to Illinois. We had a nice day and a half or so with Grandma, and then things got interesting . . . 
       My grandma has cancer. We found out about a month ago, and I haven't really wanted to write about it yet. The good part is, it's not an aggressive type of cancer and we think they caught it pretty early. The bad part is . . . well, it's cancer, and that's just scary, no matter how early they caught it or how slow it grows.
     Grandma has had a lot of trouble getting the doctors to schedule her surgery. Originally they told her that she would have her surgery within two to four weeks, but after one month passed, they still hadn't even scheduled it. I don't know or understand all of the details, but the long and short of it is this: Mom told my Grandpa Morris (who is a retired doctor) about the trouble that Grandma (Wildermuth) was having, getting a surgery date. Grandpa told Mom that there was zero excuse for them not scheduling Grandma's surgery, and he told her exactly who to call and what to say.
     Yesterday Mom and Uncle Paul sat down in the kitchen with Grandma while she called every single doctor, surgeon, nurse, and hospital that are involved in the process. It was really slow and frustrating work, and nobody expected instant results. But guess what? Grandma's surgery is tomorrow. Somehow or another, everything clicked, and the scheduling nurse realized that she needed to make space for Grandma's surgery. We are all so glad that God worked that out for us.
      Mom intended from the beginning to be with Grandma when she has her surgery. We didn't realize that it would be now, so we were all caught by surprise. Unfortunately, Dad has work and Sam and I have classes. We can't really skip school, especially since finals are approaching, so the three of us had to return home.
     I'm not really sure how it's all going to work out. I'm going to have to be pretty tough on myself and force myself to keep the house up, and keep working on my studies. It's not going to be easy, because I'm not so good at perseverance and right now I really, really want to be in Illinois more than anything else.
     I am so glad that Grandma has her surgery date, and I'm praying that she won't have to go through radiation or chemo after the surgery. It's been really hard to know that Grandma has cancer. She is so, so special to me and I never imagined that something like this could happen. Cancer is something that happens to other people and other families, you know? I don't think any of us expects something like cancer to affect us. It's something that happens to other people. 
     I'm not going to stop blogging for these next few weeks. I kind of considered it, because I'm trying to be responsible and hardworking. I have to study, clean house, do laundry, walk the dog, mow the yard, cook dinner, water the plants, and a million other things. But you know, blogging is what I love to do. I don't really think that it would be beneficial to stop doing the things that I do for fun. My posts might be less frequent. I'm going to have to be really careful to make sure that the internet doesn't eat up my time. But anyway. I still have things to write about. I'm still reading books, and creating things, and finding beauty, and loving words. I just want you guys to know that there's more going on than that.

8 comments:

  1. oh! I'm sorry Lidja. I'm so glad that God worked all that out for your family! I'm praying for your gramma. Cancer is hard. :( <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so awful. And I agree, cancer is so scary, no matter what "type" of cancer it is. Praying that the operation is successful and your grandma is healed. Be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so good to hear she has surgery tomorrow, i'll be praying everything goes well, love you Lyd , your one awesome kid <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family. I know from experience how hard cancer can be, not only on the patient, but on their family and caregivers. Stay strong, and when you can't anymore, just let Him stay strong for you.

    Keaghan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be praying for your Grandma, Lydia! *hugs* God bless you & your fam you're all in my prayers.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls :) Grandma is out of surgery, and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia, thanks for writing. We've been praying and thinking of your grandma, and we're so glad to hear that she won't be needing chemo or radiation! Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too :) Love you guys!

      Delete