3/26/2012

Heaven Isn't Boring


     I don't know who teaches us how to think about heaven. But I think they do a bad job. I've never heard anyone outright say that heaven is boring, yet somehow that's what people communicate. I think, that if we're honest, we all have a super boring picture of heaven stuck in our heads. You know . . . God sitting on a throne and everyone singing for all eternity. For all eternity. Yeah. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound heavenly to me.
     Sometimes we'll be in the middle of some wonderful experience, and my mom will say, "Guys, this is what heaven is going to be like." That's one of the things I like about my mom. She's never told us that we're going to be stuck in heaven singing for all eternity. That's not to say that there won't be music. I think music will be a huge part of heaven. But there will be so much more. You know how I picture heaven? I think that . . .

In heaven, we'll all be beautiful people.
There will be all sorts of laughter. Giggles, chuckles, and all-out snorts and guffaws.
We'll meet amazing people.
God will explain everything in the Bible, and we won't be confused in the least.
Jesus will love having interesting conversations.
Everyone will be an artist of some sort. We'll be creative in amazing ways.
There will be colors that we've never seen on earth.
When we swim, we won't need to come up for air. We'll be able to explore the very bottom of the ocean.
Jesus will go on adventures with us. He'll talk with us, be with us, and love on us.
Everyone will have a sense of humor.
We'll be friends with animals.
There won't be misunderstandings.
Everything will be incredibly stunning, beautiful, and amazing. And we'll feel at home.

     For all that, I still feel sort of irreverent, like I'm rebelling against the eternal choir. After all, I don't know that things will be like that. I don't know that Jesus will go on adventures with us. That may be entirely preposterous! But I really think that He will be down-to-earth, though that's a weird phrase to use.
      I realize that I can't possibly imagine heaven. First Corinthians 2:9 "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him." I can imagine a fraction of what it will be like. But it's going to be way better than my imaginings. Multiplied by eternity, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. -But I really think that He will be down-to-earth, though that's a weird phrase to use.-
    i love this so much.

    seriously, this whole post..i mean, i know i comment on pretty much all of your posts, but this is my favorite. and i'm going to read it again.
    multiplied by eternity, i guess<333333

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!

    That's how I always pictured heaven...kind of, well, boring. Singing for all eternity. Yeah...nice, but still... But your list of things??! Yep. Totally agree. I especially like the one about "seeing colours we've never seen before". And "going on adventures with Jesus". I think that's more like heaven. Such a great post! :)

    ReplyDelete