3/18/2012

Bunburying

     Last night I shut myself in my room, curled up in my round green chair, ate homemade pickles, listened to classical music, and read a book of plays by Oscar Wilde. I was in the perfect mood for that kind of thing, and I enjoyed the plays immensely. I particularly loved The Importance of Being Earnest, which is extremely quotable, or would be if I had a head for quotes.
 
(source)
"JACK: I am sick to death of cleverness. Everybody is clever nowadays. You can't go anywhere without meeting clever people. The thing has become an absolute public nuisance. I wish to goodness we had a few fools left.
ALGERNON: We have.
JACK: I should extremely like to meet them. What do they talk about?
ALGERNON: The fools? Oh! about the clever people of course.
JACK: What fools."

"JACK: I'll bet you anything you like that half an hour after they have met, they will be calling each other sister.
ALGERNON: Women only do that when they have called each other a lot of other things first."

 "ALGERNON: Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."



"GWENDOLEN: If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life."

"JACK: This ghastly state of things is what you call Bunburying, I suppose?
ALGERNON: Yes, and a perfectly wonderful Bunbury it is. The most wonderful Bunbury I have ever had in my life.
JACK: Well, you've no right whatsoever to Bunbury here. 
ALGERNON: That is absurd. One has a right to Bunbury anywhere one chooses. Every serious Bunburyist knows that."

5 comments:

  1. "...the butter would probably get on my cuffs..."

    :) How true is that? (If you have cuffs, of course). Muffins definately should be eaten calmly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, me, I do love The Importance of Being Ernest. It is the most delightful play. And Bunburying is the best.
    The way they talk is the loveliest thing in the world. I laughed most heartily reading this play. I love Algernon.

    Thanks for the laughs. I definitely need to read this play again.
    Love,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Algernon is by far the best.

      Delete
  3. Bunburying. I really like that word. Catchy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i have to read this!! before i watch it that is ;)

    ReplyDelete