1/13/2012

Literary Friends

I have some favorite people who aren’t real ... I guess they’re what you’d call “literary characters” ...

My Favorite Unreal People
Tristan Farnon from All Creatures Great and Small
Susan Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia
Jem Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird
Jakob Daw from Davita’s Harp
The whole Durrell family in My Family and Other Animals
The ghosts in The Sherwood Ring
Colin in The Secret Garden
Nat in The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Dustfinger in Inkheart
Scipio in The Thief Lord
Arrietty in The Borrowers
Topaz in I Capture the Castle
Artemis Fowl in.. um.. Artemis Fowl
Atticus in To Kill a Mockingbird
Jane in Jane of Lantern Hill
The Fossil sisters in Ballet Shoes
Mac in Eight Cousins
Bonnie in The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
Peter Pan in Peter Pan :-)

My top three ...

Tristan Farnon. (All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot)
He cracks me up. The way he communicates with his brother Siegfried ... The way he looks at life ... The way he always come out on top in any situation. All extremely hilarious. His brother Siegfried is my next favorite.

Jem Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee) 
When I first read To Kill a Mockingbird, I was about Jem’s age, and I had a lot of the same questions and thoughts that he did. I was going through things that were (in a small way) similar to what he went through, and I really identified with him. So .. I’ve always had a soft spot for Jem Finch.

The third one. Augh! So hard...

Susan Pevensie (The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis)
She gets to be third, because she’s been my favorite longer than the others. I think (but I’m not sure) that she was my favorite because she reminded me of myself. Oldest girl, extremely bossy. Yep. On the other hand, I don’t see myself as near so sensible and unimaginative as Susan is. I think I also decided I liked Susan because no one else loved her. Everyone’s favorite is Lucy. (And besides, Sam hated Susan) Susan does have admirable traits, though. Take, for instance her amazing bow and arrow skills.


Picking three is sad, though. I love Peter Pan too. And Atticus. And Dustfinger. And Nat, and Jakob Daw, and the Sherwood ghosts. And, ohmyword, I didn’t even mention Anne of Green Gables! Or Emily of New Moon, and all my other L.M. Montgomery favorites!

P.S. We should have talked more about Colin in The Secret Garden. And his sister Martha. She has the best accent ever.

P.P.S. The Durrell family! My Family and Other Animals is my most recent favorite.

P.P.P.S. What about villains? Hook, Miss Slighcarp, the Hartliebs...



5 comments:

  1. Finally, a girl that reads more than I do! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! It's kind of a major hobby =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try to keep this short, which will b easy, cos u have read much more than me! ;)

    Ohmy! First off, Dustfinger <3 <3 He's my top.
    Then of course Dan from Little Men, then Jo March..Her and Dustfinger are up there together! Peter Pan, right below, them..
    Mr. Rochester- From Jane Eyre
    Pip- Great Expectations
    Stella- Great Expectations
    Smike- Nickolas Nickolaby
    Anne- Anne Of Green Gables (i never forget her!)
    Dan- Little Men
    All the 7 boy cousins- Eight Cousins <3
    Dan- Shepperd Of The Hills
    Emma and Mr. Knightley- Emma<3
    Bambi- do animals count??

    Like I said..you have read way more than me! lol <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot Dan from Little Men! :/ And I liked Nat, and Jo's little boys.. what were their names? Rob and Teddy, maybe? Little Men and Eight Cousins are by far my favorite Alcott books. Pip and Stella are good ones too! I never liked Emma much. I mean, I liked the book, but she always made me mad the way she manipulated everything. Mr. Knightley made it better. :) And I like Laurie from Little Women and Little Men.
    It's funny, but I have more favorite books than favorite characters. (?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, yes, Rob and Teddy, i *loved* them. They remind me of Nathaniel and Luke so much! <3
    Ahhh. Laurie Laurence <3 First crush, ;-)

    ReplyDelete