1/30/2012

Questioning


    I do not believe that questioning is doubting. I don’t ask God questions because I doubt Him. I ask Him questions because I don’t know the answers. I ask Him questions so that He knows I’m listening. I ask Him questions because He is God, and I am Lydia, and He is so much wiser than me.
     When I don’t know what He means, and when I’m hurting because I don’t understand, it is not doubting to ask God “Why?” It is not doubting to tell God that I don’t understand why He allows certain things, and it is not doubting to ask Him why I should believe in Him.
Perhaps questions do not demonstrate full faith. But is faith always unquestioning obedience? I think that maybe it means obeying despite questions. Believing despite questions. Or even believing enough to ask questions.
     When I ask a question, I am looking for an answer. When I want an answer I can trust, I ask people I can trust. I can ask God the most important questions, because I trust in His answers. To me, questioning is not doubting. Questioning is believing, and it is wanting to believe even more. 

God if You’re there I wish You’d show me
And God if You care then I need You to know me
I hope You don’t mind me askin’ the questions
But I figure You’re big enough
I figure You’re big enough


When I imagine the size of the universe
And I wonder what’s out past the edges
Then I discover inside me a space as big
And believe that I’m meant to be
Filled up with more than just questions


So, God if You’re there I wish You’d show me
And God if You care then I need You to know me
I hope You don’t mind me askin’ the questions
But I figure You’re big enough
I figure You’re big enough
‘Cause I am not big enough


-Big Enough (Chris Rice)

1 comment:

  1. I really like the words to that song :)

    ReplyDelete