8/08/2011

Old favorites...

       Today I'm going to share with you a few of my favorite books from when I was little. (A few! Lol!) Some of them I read on my own, and some Mom read to us, but they all were a very real part of my childhood. My imagination thrived on them, and they were the source of hours and hours of wonderful pretending...
 
Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie  
I loved these books. If I could have been transported into any of the books, I would have picked these ones. I was sure I was born in the wrong time period, and I longed to live in a little cabin in the woods, and more than anything I wanted to be a pioneer!
The Boxcar Children
In the first book of this mystery series, four orphan children live in a boxcar all on their own until their long-lost grandfather appears. They go on to have wonderful adventures and solve mysteries. (Oh to be an orphan and set up housekeeping all on your own! It was one of our favorite games to be orphans who lived in the woods, and dug all of their pots and things out of dumps and old barns. =) Of course it was convenient to go inside to a mother or grandma who had sandwiches for you!)
The Littles series
They were called the Littles. The tallest was only six inches high, and they lived in the walls of a normal-sized house. They were just like people... only they had tails. They rode on the back of a cat named Hildy, and they had an elevator made out of a tin can. Postage stamps made lovely pictures to  hang over the fireplace, and a certain electrical socket above the counter was really a secret door! Isn't that just wonderful! =)
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Poor Mr. Popper paints houses. But what he really would like to be is an explorer who goes on Polar expeditions! Most especially he would enjoy making friends with the penguins. How astonishing when a package arrives from Admiral Drake in Antarctica. And what do you think it contains? A penguin!!!
The Happy Hollisters
The Happy Hollisters were my most favorite mystery-solvers of all. In fact, Sam and I had frequent arguments about which was better...the Happy Hollisters or the Boxcar Children. We must have had close to twenty or twenty-five Happy Hollister mysteries, and I read them constantly. In fact, I could easily average two or three a day. (Although there were other delightful books to read, of course) There was one I never read at night though...The Happy Hollisters and the Haunted House. Because haunted houses are creepy, right...? Fortunately, it wasn't haunted at all, and turned out to only be a couple of common-place criminals. =) What a relief...

     So anyway, that's just a few of my most favorite books of all time. Already I'm thinking of others... The Chronicles of Narnia, The Borrowers, Pippi Longstocking.... Perhaps there will be a part two! And by the way, I would love to hear if you had the same favorites, or what your favorites were. =)



1 comment:

  1. I loved the Boxcar children! My family has the first 45. (Missing only number 15)

    ReplyDelete