2/28/2011

To Kill a Mockingbird

     To Kill a Mockingbird was amazing, and I wish I understood it better than I do. I read a review on it that said you would want to read it again as soon as you finished it, and that was true for me. I think one of the greatest things about the book is how it was written in such a simple easy way, and spoke simple truths, but left you thinking and pondering for a long time afterwards. In a way, it’s not much of a story, it’s just a telling of something that could have happened in real life. It doesn’t have a very intricate plot, it’s only about a black man being accused by a white man of something he didn’t do, and the turmoil that follows.
    Told from the perspective of a tomboy named Scout, it’s also a story about her, her brother Jem, their friend Dill, and the small Southern town they live in. Most of all it’s a story about Scout and Jem’s father defending the black man, Tom, and what happens to the town when the jury finds Tom guilty, simply because the black man never wins against prejudice.
    I don’t really know how to conclude this, because the book isn’t really concluded in my mind yet. I’m not sure it ever will be concluded. It poses a lot of questions about prejudice, hatred, human nature and growing up. And maybe it answers some of them, but I’m not sure they can all be answered. Questions are important though, and we ought to think about them, even if they can’t be answered, so read this book for the story... and read it for the questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment