2/11/2011

Let Me Be a Woman, by Elisabeth Elliot

Although I admire Elisabeth Elliot, and I know that she has a lot of good things to say, I have to admit I have a hard time with this book. Maybe part of it is that I don’t know what to think about my place as a woman. I don’t even know what I want to think about it, and that’s an interesting situation to be sure! I’m quite happy with the prospect of being a wife and mother someday, and I don’t have a whole lot of admiration for ultra-feminists who want to be exactly the same as men. I view that as quite ridiculous, because I know that I am not a man, and I don’t want to be. On the other hand, I have a deep horror of people who go on and on about women submitting, and turn it into some awful practice that I’m quite sure the Bible does not support. And that’s where I start to have problems with this book. It really rankles me to listen to people talk about the woman always submitting and sacrificing, and going on and on about how anything else would be wrong. In particular I despise the theory that since Eve was created from Adam, she was made to be under him. And even more particularly I hate it when people say that Eve was the one who brought sin into the world, and that if she had just gone to her husband first, he might have prevented it. Phooey! It was part of the curse that man would rule over woman, not ‘creation order’ as they call it. And don’t you think Eve was perfectly intelligent and knew what she was doing without her husband’s guidance? And don’t forget, Adam wasn’t perfect either. He sinned just as much as Eve, and if you go with the theory that he was superior, and knew what God said, and she didn’t, he sinned even worse than her! I can’t really think of any conclusion on what I thought about this book. There were some good things about it, but I know that it’s used to support some pretty ridiculous stuff, and I really don’t like where it might go. I don't even disagree with much of anything she says, I'm just uncomfortable with some of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment