1/26/2011

A Lie for a Life?


I understand the importance of telling the truth, and I know that lying is a sin; but what if someone’s life is at stake? Would you lie in order to save someone’s life? I’m almost positive I would. For example, suppose you were in the place of Corrie Ten Boom. I imagine she had to lie more than once to protect the lives of the people she was hiding. Does that make her any less a hero? I don’t think so. In fact, maybe it makes her more of one, because she was willing to tell a lie for the sake of others.
                Then of course, there’s Rahab in the Bible, who hid the spies on her roof: she lied to save them. And then there’s my favorite story about the midwives in Exodus, who refused to throw the baby boys in the Nile, and told pharaoh it was “because the Hebrew women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are vigorous and give birth before a midwife can get to them.” I love that. It’s such a creative lie, and I have always admired them for it.
                   Once  I had a conversation with someone about this same topic. She said that it wouldn’t be acceptable to tell a lie, wrong never makes right, God is in charge of someone’s life anyway, and he can take care of it, etc. etc. But guess what? It specifically says that God blessed the midwives for what they did, and only Rahab and her family were saved from the destruction of Jericho, because of what she did for the spies. Make of that what you will.
                I would sound a lot more righteous if I said I would never tell a lie, even to save a life. However, my personal opinion is that God would overlook a little lie in such a situation. Besides, how could you ever live with yourself if someone died because you were such a stickler for truth? Besides, if you were concerned about telling a lie, you could always refuse to say anything. I don’t believe the Bible lists that as a sin. If it does, I’m a worst sinner than I thought. :-)




P.S. Thankfully nobody depends on me to save their life. Just thought I'd mention that. ;-)


2 comments:

  1. Lidja :) I just read all your entries!! I love it!! You are very creative and a great writer. Keep up the good work. I miss you and love you. hug from your aunt Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :-) I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete